Monday, October 13, 2008

Early Birthday

The month of October fills up quickly in our household. This year we have 2 birthdays, my 10 year high school reunion, Clayton's 5 year ACU reunion, and many more football games and fall festivals to attend. When you have a child, their birthday trumps your own (especially when it is within a week). Sometimes I have to remind myself that my birthday still exists. That is perfectly fine with me because I enjoy getting ready for her big day and celebrating her birth day! This year, Clayton decided to give us a nice weekend alone in a hotel. Camille spent the weekend with my parents. Clayton and I booked a night at the Fairmont Hotel downtown Dallas. We wanted nice, but we got NICE! I felt like there was a huge sign on our car saying "We don't frequent luxury hotels!" when we drove up. We found the garage just as we drove up, but it had a sign saying Do Not Enter. So we drove up to the front of the hotel and two gentlemen opened our doors quickly. Clayton asked where we were to park, and they said, "We park it for you." I was immediately embarrased! Our car was a disaster! It hadn't been washed in months and it was definitely clear that a two year old rides in our car! They asked our names, took our luggage and began checking in for us. Clayton and I just kept looking at each other with grins and thinking "What have we gotten ourselves into?"


Our suite was on the 15th floor and it was larger than our first apartment! It was beautiful and much more than I expected! That evening we enjoyed some good BBQ in the West End, rode a trolley to the West Village for some shopping and then had some ice cream before heading to the hotel for the evening.
Right next to our hotel was the Fountain Place. It was gorgeous! I could have sat there for hours just watching the fountain. There were probably 100 jets of water that would shoot up at different times. Just as I got the courage to ask a lady to take our picture, our camera wouldn't work...just about right! So there are no pictures of the two of us from the weekend. On Saturday we enjoyed sleeping in, watching tv on BOTH of our flat screen tv's, and just relaxing...no hurry, no milk, no diapers, no mess and no cute little Camille (we did miss her tons!) We then went to the Galleria with hopes of ice skating. Clayton forgot his socks and they were giving ice skating lessons to little kids, so we enjoyed lunch at the Corner Bakery and a little shopping. It was a wonderful birthday together and I'm so glad we took time to be alone together.