Thursday, November 15, 2007

National Young Readers Day



On Tuesday, our school celebrated National Young Readers Day. A lot of work was put into this day! Each grade level had a celebrity come read a book to them in the library. Our biggest celebritiy was TO from the Dallas Cowboys! It was a pretty big deal to alot of people. We even tried to keep it hush-hush from parents to keep them away as much as possible. He actually came to read to the 3rd graders, but my kiddos got to see him walking down the hall as we were waiting on our speaker. I watch the Cowboys (I don't really have a choice...) but I'm not a huge fan. I didn't really care too much about him being there, until I see him walking my way down the hall. I did get a little nervous and excited to actually see him! He was so tall and big! My kids thought it was pretty cool. He even donated several of his books "Little T Learns to Share" to our library.
The kindergarteners' speaker was Derrick Castillo from Channel 5 Sports. He wasn't as much to get hiped about, but he did a great job talking and interacting with our kids. During the day we also had a book exchange, cookies and punch and a bookmark competition. Lots of fun!
This is the link to the story in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

6 comments:

Pearson Family

WOW! Does Clayton want an 8x10 of the picture you took!?

Amy C

THat is very cool. It is amazing how much bigger sports figures are in real life.

annalee

what a special day at school! i LOVE special events like that, even though it equals crazy kiddos it is always worth it. and your layout is SO cute! love the pics of camille in her sweater!

Margaret K

Oh, I am so jealous! What lucky kids.

campers

that is so cool!

Kristen

Hey! I put my tree the right of the fire place almost to the tile.
We have 2 chairs on that wall so it was a good little nook right behind them. They kind of angle towards the TV. It is pretty close to our bedroom. You should just come over and see. :)
Yes, we need to get together.
I am done working soon, so I will be available. :)