Today was my first day back to school. It was so good to see my sweet kids again! They were all so excited to tell me ALL about their break and presents. After doing a journal entry about their favorite gift, they each had a turn with my microphone to stand up and tell ONE of their favorite things about their break. I said they could share their favorite present, favorite person they saw, or favorite place they went. Most of them shared their favorite present, some mentioned seeing their grandparents out of town and one was my favorite! The second to last girl, stood up and said, "Celebrating Jesus' birthday!". HOW AMAZING IS THAT! A five year old saw that as something more important than her new Jeep she journaled about. This is something that Clayton and I have talked a lot about this holiday season. How would we do our best to help Camille see the true meaning of Christmas? Does this mean not buying gifts for each other to take away that emphasis? I have really struggled with this idea and we still aren't sure what we will do next year. I would love to hear your ideas of how you emphasize Jesus' birthday at Christmas time. This little girl has definitely seen it and it just made my day!
I also came home to a clean home and clean laundry today! Clayton doesn't go back to school until Monday so he was at home cleaning away today! I love this man!
8 comments:
Love your post! What a sweet Kindergarten girl to say that!
We have friends who do the 'Wise Man Plan' with their kiddos (ages 14,11,8 and 3). Their kids get 3 presents from them then 3 on Christmas morning. Ours are a little too young right now, but I think it is a great way to still do presents and tie in with the true meaning.
Glad you have a clean house. So jealous! I should be doing that right now..... :)
What a sweet girl! You'll have to tell her parents what a good job they've done with her!
We do 3 gifts per child. And they aren't big presents-one is always a book. We don't do Santa, but rather talk about the real Saint Nicholas and how he loved to give gifts to those in need.
Ask other parents at your church or other Christian friends too. I got some great ideas from moms in my MOPS group!
What a precious little girl. :)
I have heard a lot of different ideas, but one I heard recently was 3 gifts with a meaning to each. All of these were from the parents and then they got one Santa gift.
1. A Faith Building gift (bible, worship DVD/CD, etc)
2. A Practical Gift (clothes, stuff they need)
3. A fun gift (toy, etc)
Then a Santa gift.
The 3 gifts stood for the Gold, the frankesince (sp??), and mir in the bible.
Then I went to this girls bible study at church and they were talking about doing the advent calendar with thier children and do a part of Jesus' story each night until Christmas and some nights involved an activity.
I really like both of these ideas. I think we are going to use them.
Wow, those parents are doing something right! As we go along in our everyday life we try as christians to teach our little ones about Christ. We never know how much they are getting until something like this happens.
glad your first day back was a good one! Cute pic of y'all on New Years!!!
We had a birthday party for Jesus on Christmas day. We had birthday cake and sang to Him and everything. We talked about giving Him presents and that wants He really wants is our hearts and for us to love Him.I explained that He didn't need a new bike or toy but what He really wanted was us. It went well. They kids liked it and it was neat to celebrate Him in a friendly familiar way. I think we will do it each year. We;ll see. M
Loved your post. That sweet little girl was precious. Glad you guys are doing well and clayton is so good to you!
had a sweet dream about you last night! Love u!
Post a Comment