Friday, March 20, 2009

Family Vacation to San Antonio

I am very behind on my blogs and everytime I think about catching up, I get overwhelmed and put if off yet again. So, I've decided to blog about our most recent adventure and work my way back (back dating my posts of course).

This week has been our Spring Break and it's times like this that I'm so thankful Clayton and I are both in education! It has been a great week spending every day together! On Sunday, we headed to San Antonio for our first official family vacation - just the three of us! Camille did great in the truck on the way there even though she only slept 1 1/2 hours of the 4 hour trip and the DVD player batteries were dead! We had been talking about our vacation, San Antonio, the hotel and Shamu, but she didn't know what all that entailed. When we walked into the hotel room, her first comment was "Ooh, big girl beds!" and then into the bathroom, "Ooh, bathtub." She loved the room and didn't want to leave when it was time to head back home.
After we were settled into the room, we walked to the Riverwalk and enjoyed some Mexican food. Our plan was to ride the boat but the line was EXTREMELY way too long. We checked the times it ran and promised Camille we would come back on Tuesday morning. Camille and daddy enjoyed trying on some hats in a shop on the Riverwalk.
The next morning we enjoyed a nice breakfast at the hotel and then got ready to go see this infamous Shamu we had been talking about. I had been pretty nervous about this trip with a 2-year old because I never wanted to be the parents people look at because of their screaming, cranking and exhausted child. With a wrong turn and alot of traffic within 2 miles of Sea World, it took us close to 2 hours to get there. Our hotel was 15 miles away! But, I just kept saying it was a blessing because Camille fell asleep soon after we left and got a great nap before getting to Sea World! Along with Shamu, Big Bird and his friends were also at Sea World! We planned it well and were able to see all the shows. Camille sat so still during each one of them. We ended up in the Splash Zone for the Shamu show and told Camille that Shamu was going to splash us. She was pretty stressed about that and did not want to get wet. We lucked out and missed the water by 1 or 2 rows. There were several wet and screaming children...I'm glad ours wasn't!

The $10 spent on this stroller was the best $10 spent all day! She loved it most of the time, but she loved her Shamu even more! She spotted him early on during the day and we were able to wait until close to the end to purchase him. She has taken him many places already and is her new sleep buddy.On Tuesday morning, we packed up and headed back to the Riverwalk for a boat ride. There was no line and we got right on for our 35 min ride. It was a little longer and slower than Camille would prefer, but still didn't want to leave when it was over. We had a great trip and were so proud of how well behaved Camille was!

5 comments:

Anonymous

love the post! Looks like y'all had fun! we need to do a big family vaca soon! That would be a lot of fun! Maybe Disney for a 4th time?

Ashley

CONGRATS to you too! Yeah, my due date is 9/18 but since it is a C-Section I am hoping for 09/09/09!

Hope you are feeling well!

Margaret K

I didn't know you were pregnant! Congratulations! I love Camille's new bed and it looks like you had a great vacation. I had to laugh when you mentioned not wanting to be one of the mothers with the screaming, cranky child. I am one of those moms and I have gotten passed being mortified. I have even stopped turning red and sweating profusely.

Allison

Ok, I did not know you were pregnant!! Congratulations!!! It looked like yall had a fun time in San Antonio. That was our last family of 3 trip before Harper joined us. Little did we know we'd be moving here less than a year later.

I cannot believe it took over 2 hours to get to Sea World. I heard news that Spring Break was pretty crowded, but WOW that must have been horrible! Glad it was worth it tho. We love going. I took a mental note that we should not brave the crowds during mid-march!

Anonymous

okay I revised my To Do list for summer and added to very important people to my list! :) Y'all can help me find a job and a place to live! So fun!