Saturday, September 12, 2009

Birth Day

* So frustrated! Why can't I move these pictures around anymore? Did they change something that I missed since I have updated in so long?




September 8, 2009 was a magical day! The birth of a child is so amazing to me! It is definitely a work of the Lord and a good reminder that things don't always go as we had them planned! This post is a run down of the whole day so that I can look back later and remember the parts that we so quickly throw out.
7:00am
Clayton and I arrived at the hospital, got checked in, changed and ready for the nurse to begin the day. As the nurse walked in, I immediately grinned and said "I remember you from our first child's birth!" Nurse Kathy was our Childbirth Class teacher and was my nurse with Camille's delivery. It was so good to see a familiar face! She and nurse Brittney (a "learning" nurse) began my IV's, set me up on potocin and began the long list of questions.


8:30am
Contractions began getting pretty strong.

*Dr. Preston delivered Camille and although we were at the same hospital, he no longer delivers babies. I was very sad when I heard this, but was also very blessed to have Dr. Parikh deliver Eli. She had already put my mind at ease a few weeks earlier that she allows an epidural when ever I want it! Yipee!

9:15am
Dr. Parikh arrived to break my water and check my progress. I was 4cm, 80% efaced and Eli was at a -2.

10:00am
I received my epidural! It was taking him a long time to put it in, and I began to get a little nervous! I just kept praying that my body would accept it and I would shortly feel no more pain! I don't understand why anyone whould choose not to have an epidural! He finally got it in and began doing it's job.

11:20am
Nurse Kathy and Brittney were off shift at 11am and Nurse Becky came on. She was also a wonderful nurse to have! She had been there for 32 years...she knew what she was doing! She put in my cathetar and checked my progress - 5cm.

Shortly after that, I began feeling strong contractions again. With Camille, I took naps and felt NOTHING once I got my epidural.

11:50am
The anestesiologist nurse came in to give me some more meds to help with contractions. This continued to happen every 30 minutes or so. I would feel real good and then it would wear off.

1:00pm
Nurse Becky checked my progress again - 8cm!

1:15pm
Dr. Parikh came in to check my progress - 10cm, fully efaced and ready to push!

The dr. and nurse both agreed that since I had just received another dose of meds through the epidural and I was feeling pretty good, to let me continue through some contractions and allow Eli to do some of the work on his own. Dr. Parikh went across the street to see a patient and wait to be called again.

1:45pm
Eli was ready! They could see his head so they called Dr. Parikh over.

1:56pm
I pushed through 3 contractions and Eli Lewis Woods was born weighing 9lbs, 14oz and 20.5 inches long! Everyone in the room was commenting on how BIG he was! Dr. Parikh had guessed 9 to 9.5 lbs. so he was even bigger than she had guessed. They immediately layed him on my chest and allowed me to soak up my precious little boy for a few minutes!

0 comments: